Information Technology Services
Connecting Your Computer to the Tiffin University Network
Tiffin University offers High Speed Internet Access in all residential halls (Huggins, Kirk, Craycraft, Friedley, Zahn) on campus. [Dial-In is NOT supported in any residential hall.]
Step 1: Fill out a Dorm Network Access Contract. (It may take up to 24 hours for your room to be activated)
Step 2: Connect your computer to the network in your dorm room.
Step 3: Run ALL Microsoft Updates by doing the following [Even if you have a NEW computer, this still must be done!]:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. From the file menu, choose Tools, then Windows Updates.
3. You will be taken to a certified Microsoft site, and may be asked to install a plug-in for the updates. You need to click YES at that screen.
4. You will then need to proceed to click the option that reads Scan for updates.
5. Once the scanning is complete, you will see a list of available updates to the left of the screen. You will then want to select, and install all available CRITICAL updates.
6. After the process is complete (as it may take several minutes) be sure to restart your machine.
Please note, that some available Critical/Service Pack updates may be required to be downloaded and installed separately. This will require you to reboot and revisit the Microsoft Update site. By successfully installing all current patches, your PC will be secure from unwanted network hacks and other malicious activity.
Step 4: You are REQUIRED to have an Anti-Virus program installed on your computer. If you already have Symantec Norton Anti-Virus, MacAfee, or another virus program, you do not need to complete this step. ITS allows students to utilize Symantec Anti-Virus as long as they are enrolled at Tiffin University. Click here to install Anti-Virus if you do not have it.
However, be aware that if you do not have an Anti-Virus program installed, Tiffin University offers Symantec Norton Anti-Virus FREE to every student.
1. Exit ALL programs that are currently running on your computer.
2. Go to the webpage http://www.tiffin.edu/its/onlineservices/
3. Click on the Symantec button. You will be prompted to Save or Open the file. Click on Open
4. The file will be downloaded to your computer and begin the install process.
5. After completion, restart your computer.
6. To verify it has installed properly, check to make sure you have a Gold shield in the lower right hand corner of your screen in the taskbar.
Step 5: It is highly recommended that you install some type of Ad Blocker or Anti Spyware program. This is a free download and Information & Technology Services recommends Adaware.
1. Go to the website www.download.com
2. In the search box type adaware
3. In the results section, choose the first one that reads Ad Aware
4. Click Download It Now
5. Follow the instructions to install it to your computer.
6. When you first open Adaware, make sure the option is checked to check for the latest updates.
7. Run a complete scan of your computer to ensure nothing is installed.
Step 6: Information & Technology Services (ITS) will then be performing what is referred to as Thunder Runs. While you are present in your dorm room, ITS will make sure you have completed the above steps and put you on a list so that you are not disconnected.
If you had any problems with the above steps ITS will assist you with the process while they are performing the Thunder Runs.
Our Staff can be reached at x3430 or 419-448-3430 if you have any Questions.
Disclaimer: Tiffin University and Information & Technology Services hold no responsibility for any malfunction that may occur during or after completing these recommendations. The items listed above are solely suggestions, which have been proven to be effective, and should only be completed once the student has agreed to not hold anyone accountable except for himself/herself for any unwanted or unexpected occurrences.