Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined as an internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that will result in credit being awarded towards a studentís degree. For some undergraduate majors at Tiffin, an internship is required. For graduate programs, such as the MBA, an internship is one available option that students have to fulfill a particular degree requirement.


A student must complete one academic year of full-time enrollment to be eligible to apply for CPT. Exceptions to this regulation are provided for students enrolled in graduate programs that require immediate participation in curricular training.

Students who have completed all required courses for their degree program but still have a paper, thesis, or dissertation to finish for graduation requirements ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for CPT. These students must apply for Optional Practical Training.

Important Notes

  • If you participate in full-time CPT for twelve (12) months, you are not eligible for post-completion Optional Practical Training (see OPT website).
  • Per USCIS regulations, all students planning to do CPT must apply for and receive official approval from the ISS Office BEFORE beginning employment.
  • If you choose to complete your internship during the fall or spring semesters, you may only work part-time (20 hours per week), and you must be enrolled full-time.
  • If you choose to complete your internship in the summer semester, you may work full-time (up to 40 hours per week), and you do not need to be enrolled full-time.

Applying for CPT

  • Discuss the internship opportunity with a faculty advisor to ensure that the position will meet course requirements.
  • Complete necessary internship application documents for Tiffin University.
    • There is a separate internship application for undergraduate and graduate students.
    • Students will actually register for the internship class and it will show on the studentís schedule.
  • Obtain an employment offer letter from the company/organization with which student wishes to be employed. The letter must include the job title, job description, beginning and ending dates, and hours worked per week.
  • Visit the ISS Office with the following documents:
    • Current original I-20
    • Completed CPT form
    • Completed internship application form from TU
    • Employment offer letter
  • The ISS Office will then add the CPT employment to the studentís SEVIS record and a new I-20 will be printed.

The above documents are in PDF format, which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.