Information Technology Services
Antivirus & Computer Updates
In the past various colleges and universities have been hit by viruses/worms such as WormBlaster and Welchia. These worms infected a wide variety of computers across the Internet, mostly without the users’ knowledge. Although these computers appeared to run fine, damage was being done to the internal networks and caused outages and network slowness. Because of situations like this example, Information Technology Services (ITS) wants you to be aware of the following.
- Just because you recently purchased a new computer does NOT mean it is protected.
- Make sure you have an antivirus program installed, such as:
- Make sure you have a spyware or adware removal program installed, such as Ad-Aware or Spybot-Search and Destroy. Please note that even if these programs are installed, it is imperative they are updated MONTHLY. Many programs will require you to purchase a subscription contract.
- Verify that your computer makes the minimum requirements in order to properly connect.
Install OS X Updates on a Mac
For steps on how to activate and install OS X updates please visit the Apple support website.
Install Windows Updates for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 on a PC
Make sure your Windows has all of the latest security updates. In order for you to check, perform the following:
- To check for updates using Windows 7 follow these steps:
1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
2. In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
3. If you see a message telling you that important updates are available, or telling you to review important updates, click the message to view and select the important updates to install.
4. In the list, click the important updates for more information. Select the check boxes for any updates that you want to install, and then click OK.
5. Click Install updates.
Read and accept the license terms, and then click Finish if the update requires it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
• If language packs are available, install only the languages that you use.
- Make sure ALL critical updates are installed. Be aware that some updates might require that you restart your computer to finish installing. Save and close all your programs before restarting to prevent data loss. Be sure you go to the site again until all updates say “0 Updates Remaining.”
**For more information regarding Windows updates or other related help topics, check out the Microsoft support website.
Have Questions? Call The ITS Help Desk!
If you have any further questions, please call the ITS Help Desk at (855) 664-1200.