Information Technology Services
What Type Of Computer Should I Bring To Campus? ITS Has The Answer!
YOU & ITS: Helping You Get Connected!
This is one of the most common questions asked by incoming and current students: What type of computer should I bring when I come to campus? Although there is not one specific, easy answer, TU’s Information Technology Services (ITS) Office offers you these guidelines to help you get connected.
First, your computer should have the following:
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 Operating System or Windows 7, Mac OS 10.5 or higher.
- At least a 1.6 GHz processor.
- Minimum of 2GB of RAM.
- 80GB of hard disk space available.
- Wired or Wireless Ethernet adapter.
- An ethernet cable for wired connections. This cable is used to go from the wall to the computer. Please be aware that this is an eight pin wire, and a phone cable CANNOT be used. For your convenience, ethernet cables are available in the TU Bookstore.
- (optional for laptops) An internal or external 802.11 B, G, N wireless adapter.
Please note: online students will need a high speed Internet connection.
Most computers already come preinstalled with the network card in both PC's and laptops. Make sure you check your machine before you buy one.
Second, ITS recommends the following types of computers:
- Dell – Tiffin University has an ongoing relationship with Dell that could save you money. Please click here for more information.
Third, it is also recommended that you have productivity software such as...
- Microsoft Office 2010 click here for a special offer from Microsoft
- OpenOffice.org (click here to download the free version of OpenOffice.org)
For more helpful information from ITS, please go to our Need To Know page.
If you have any other questions concerning what type of PC you should bring, please call the ITS Help Desk at (419) 448-3430, or call (800) 968-6446 and ask for the ITS Help Desk.