Information Technology Services
What Type Of Computer Should I Bring To Campus? ITS Has The Answer!
That is one of the most common questions asked by incoming and current students. Although there is not one specific, easy answer, TUís Information Technology Services (ITS) Office offers you these guidelines to help you with that decision.
1) Your computer should have the following:
- Operating System (OS): Windows Vista with Service Pack 2, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Mac OS 10.5 or higher
- At least a 1.3 GHz processor
- Minimum of 2GB of RAM
- Minimum 80GB hard disk space available
- Wired or Wireless Ethernet adapter
- An Ethernet cable for wired network connection
- Note: This cable is used to connect the computer to a network wall jack. Please be aware this is an eight pin wire, which is different from a phone cable. Ethernet cables can be purchased at the TU Bookstore.
- (optional for laptops) An internal or external 802.11 B, G, N wireless adapter.
Most computers already come pre-installed with the network card in both PC's and laptops. Make sure to check your machine before you purchase one.
Please note Online Students also require the following:
- Webcam and Microphone
- High Speed Internet Connection
- Recommended web browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari
- Internet Explorer is not a recommended browser at this time
2) ITS recommends the following types of computers:
- Dell - our university has an ongoing partnership with Dell that can save you money
- Apple - they offer special education pricing
3) We recommend you have productivity software such as...
- Microsoft Office click here for a special offer from Microsoft
- OpenOffice.org (click here to download the free version of OpenOffice.org)
For more helpful information from ITS, please check out our Need To Know page.
If you have any other questions concerning what type of PC you should bring, please call the ITS Help Desk at (855) 664-1200.