Have A Question About TU’s Residence Life? We Have All Of The Answers!

For the convenience of both students and parents, we’ve compiled the most frequently asked questions about Tiffin University’s Residence Life.  And, we also have all of the answers!  Please take some time to read through these questions and answers thoroughly, and you will be better prepared for on-campus living.

At TU, we believe in developing a real community, for lasting, real connections!

  • What will living on campus be like?  Residential living is the experience you make it.  Have fun, get involved, and respect those around you; you’ll make friends and memories that will last a lifetime!
  • Will I be able to sleep and study with so many people around?  There are 24-hour courtesy hours, and all requests must be honored.  Quiet Hours are in effect from 11:00 p.m. - 10:30 a.m. Sunday -Thursday and Midnight-Noon on Friday & Saturday.  During finals week each semester, 22 Hour Quiet/Study Hours are in effect.
  • What is the purpose of the Resident Assistants and the Head Residents?  Resident Assistants (RA’s) and Head Residents (HR’s) are upperclassman students who monitor the residential floors, halls, houses and apartments.  They are Residence Life staff members who are well trained to handle emergency situations, create social and educational programming, offer support, and act as an overall resource for students.
  • What if I don’t get along with my roommate?  We anticipate minor conflicts and tensions that naturally arise out of small living spaces.  However, we do expect our students to handle such conflicts in a mature fashion and communicate with each other to set perimeters that work for all involved.  For the occasional larger issues, RA’s/HR’s should be contacted before the Residence Life professional staff.
  • Can I have a pet in my room?  Due to health and safety concerns for both residents and animals, ABSOLUTELY NO PETS ARE ALLOWED except for fish.  Fish tanks should be no larger than 10 gallons, with one tank per room and well maintained.
  • Where can I do laundry? Laundry rooms are located in all residence halls and houses. These machines are FREE to university students! If needed, a Laundromat is located near campus.  If a resident finds maintenance issues with the laundry machines, please contact your RA/HR to submit a work request.
  • What is furnished in my room? Each room has one of the following per person: bed, extra-long twin mattress (JCPenney, Walmart, Kmart, Meijer and most other stores now carry these sheets), desk, chair, dresser, & wardrobe/closet.  Each room has one phone jack.  While all rooms have ceiling lights, we recommend that you bring lamps that work best for you.
  • Can I build a loft in my room?  The University does not allow students or their parents to build lofts in any room on campus for liability purposes. All campus beds are bunk-able and most of the furniture is able to be lofted. All requests for this must go through the RA assigned to that floor. The Maintenance Department will be happy to set up the beds for you.
  • Can I paint my room? The Maintenance Department takes care of any necessary painting during the summer break.  Therefore, painting should not need to happen. Also, students should hang posters only with poster putty.
  • What if I lose my room key?  Students are charged $200.00 for lost keys.  Lost or stolen keys should be reported IMMEDIATELY to the Residence Life staff.  Replacement keys must be requested through the Residence Life Office.  For your own safety, do not leave your room unlocked.
  • Is there Internet hookup in my room? All residence life halls currently offer high speed Wi-Fi and Ethernet access to the Tiffin University network. All other residences have High Speed Internet access. The ITS Office will help you troubleshoot Wi-Fi connection issues if you are having difficulties. Just call (855) 664-1200 or stop by the Help Desk located on the 2nd floor of the Hertzer Technology Center building.
  • Can I have a George Foreman type of grill in my room?  Unfortunately, no.  For the safety of all, the University does not allow grills and microwaves in the rooms and discourages cooking, except in university kitchen spaces.
  • How does the phone system work?  TU does not have a residential phone system.  Phone service must be ordered through AT&T, 800-572-4545 – just as you would for any other residence.  We recommend basic service with long-distance via the use of calling cards only. It tends to cut down on financial conflicts among floor mates.
  • Can I have an air-conditioner in my room?  Unfortunately, no. We realize there are periods when it can be extremely warm in campus residences, and we recommend a good fan. Campus residences are not wired to absorb the added strain of air conditioners.
  • Can I have a refrigerator and microwave in my room? You may have a refrigerator no more than 4 cubic feet high. Each floor is equipped with a microwave; individual microwave units are not allowed.
  • Can I smoke or have candles and incense in my room?  All TU buildings and residences are smoke-free.  Smoking, incense and candle burning are not allowed in the campus residences. This includes e-cigarettes and any other smokeless tobacco product. 
  • May I stay in my campus residence during breaks?  The halls and houses officially close during Thanksgiving, Winter Holiday Break, and Spring Break. Students who are asked to stay in some capacity for the University are allowed to remain in the residences. Students who need to stay MUST receive permission from the Director of Housing Operations one week prior to the break.
  • Where can I cash checks or get cash?  The ATM machine in the Gillmor Student Center is through The Old Fort Banking Company, (419) 443-8580. We recommend opening at least a savings account with this bank during your stay here to avoid extra charges.  They will cash checks for those who have accounts. There are several national banks in town as well.
  • Who cleans the rooms and buildings?  TU is fortunate to have a wonderful custodial and maintenance staff who maintains the common areas and community bathrooms. The custodial staff does daily cleaning for normal usage. As a member of the residence hall community, all residents are responsible for “extra” clean up in common areas resulting from general sloppiness, vandalism, or pranks. If the staff cleans up “extra” messes, the individuals responsible will be billed. If they are not discovered, all residents will split the costs of clean-ups and repairs. All students are responsible for cleaning their own room. 
  • What is a common area? A “common area” is any part of a residence that is accessible to all residents and guests, such as hallways, stairwells, lounges, lobbies, community bathrooms, study areas, laundry rooms, and outside anywhere on campus. ITS currently offers campus computers in all lounges inside the residence life halls and the living learning communities for student use! Damages to common areas are treated as if it were your home; if the individual(s) responsible are not found, all residents share part of the expense for repairs.  We strongly encourage everyone living on campus to be aware of vandalism or strangers.  Please report all incidents to a Residence Life staff member or to the Student Affairs Office.
  • Can I have a car on campus?  All students are allowed to have cars on campus. A yearly fee of $25.00 is required.  If you car is in a tow-away zone, involved in an accident, or you’ve left your lights on, etc., the Student Affairs staff will be able to identify who the car belongs to through your parking tag. You will then be located so that you can take care of your car.
  • What about alcohol?  Students under the legal drinking age may not consume alcohol, as mandated by law by the State of Ohio.  If you are of legal age and choose to consume alcohol, you must be in a room where all of the occupants are 21 or older.  You must not disrupt the academic environment with noise or unacceptable behavior.  Refer to the Student Handbook for specific details of the policy.  Always remember to be responsible and respect yourself and those around you.
  • What kinds of policies do I have to follow?  Campus policies exist to enhance community development, maintain overall safety, and foster respect.  It is YOUR responsibility to know, understand and adhere to the policies as well as encourage others to follow the campus community standards. Please refer to your Student Handbook for all policies regarding campus life.
  • What if I need medical help?  If you need medical attention, Tiffin University Health Services is located at 217 Miami Street. Appointments and walk-ins are always welcomed. Please have your insurance information available. The staff may be contacted at 419-448-3429. If you are feeling ill after these hours, please contact your RA/HR or the Student Affairs Office. We can help you get to the Emergency Room at Tiffin Mercy Hospital. The Residence Life staff is trained in basic First Aid/CPR for emergency situations and will be able to assist you in finding the best resource for your needs. 
  • What if I need repairs or maintenance in my room?  All maintenance requests should be made through your RA or the Residence Life Office.  Our Maintenance Department is very good about handling all requests within three days.  If there is an emergency situation, contact the RA-on-duty or the Student Affairs/Residence Life Office.
  • Can I keep my hunting rifles or knives in my room? No. Objects with the potential to cause harm to residents are not allowed in campus residences.  Such items include: guns, knives, explosives, fireworks, bows and arrows, etc.

Back To Top

What if I have other questions?

When you arrive on campus you will meet the Residence Life staff and the Student Affairs staff. We are here to help you adjust to campus life. On-campus Residence Life staff members include 32 student staff members -- including 28 Resident Assistants and 3 Head Residents, and 1 Community Advisor. We also have 5 professional, full-time staff members who live on campus.  Additional staff members include our Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Director of Housing Operations, Director of Counseling and Wellness, Director of Student Engagement, and various other full-time employees to aid you on your college journey.

Important Contact Information:

  • Dean of Students
    • Mike Herdlick (419) 448-3582
  • Director of Counseling and Wellness
    • Julie George (419) 448-3578
  • Director of Residence Life
    • Jacob Simon (419) 448-3421
  • Director of Housing Operations
    • Noah Fox (419) 448-3392
  • Director of Student Engagement
    • (419) 448-3424
  • Director of Campus Safety
    • Jennifer Boucher (419) 448-5137
  • Executive Director of Career Development
    • Mandi Hummel (419) 448-3422
  • Student Affairs Office Manager
    • Jill Earl (419) 448-3264

Other Important Numbers

Athletics (419) 448-3334
Internship Services (419) 448-3441
Tiffin University Bookstore (419) 448-3437
Mail Room (419) 448-3411
Maintenance (419) 448-3275
Dining Services (419) 448-3450
Night Maintenance (419) 934-2850
Campus Security Duty Phone (419) 934-0721
Police (non-emergency) (419) 447-2323

Back To Top