TU Offers Resources For Health, Counseling & Referral Services

Tiffin University knows that every student is an individual, with individual needs.  In the event that a student needs health, counseling and/or referral services, we are available with the real resources and connections to help.

Student in Crisis Situations

In the event that a student is in a state of emotional agitation that requires immediate attention or intervention with counseling services, the Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life or designee will make an immediate referral to a counselor or counseling service that will be most beneficial to the student,

General Counseling Services

For students requesting counseling services, referrals will be made to the counselor by the Dean of Students, and/or the Director of Residence Life. The Dean of Students and/or the Director of Residence Life will make an assessment of the student's overall physical and mental state in order to make the necessary and most effective counseling referral.


For students who are not in crisis situations, but who are deemed by the Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life or other faculty or staff members as being in need of counseling services, the Dean of Students or the Director of Residence Life will make the referral or necessary mandatory requirement in order to aid the student with the issues he or she is facing.  Some of these referrals may be part of a judicial sanction or an intervention, and it will be necessary for the student to complete the assessment/counseling process to the satisfaction of the counselor in order to continue to be enrolled at Tiffin University.

Counseling and Wellness

Julie George, M.A., LSW, PC/CR has joined the TU family as the Director of Wellness and Counseling program. Julie's office is located at the Seneca House, 217 Miami Street, in the Health Services Office. For questions call 419-448-3578 or email counseling@tiffin.edu. Hours are Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 5 pm., other hours by appointment.

Please call or email by using the above information or contact a Student Affairs or Residence Life Staff member to schedule an appointment.


Students who request general counseling services will be referred to University Health Services, and it is up to the student to keep those appointments.  All contact regarding counseling will be kept confidential between the counselor and the student.  The counselor will not offer any updates regarding those students to the administration, faculty or staff of Tiffin University, or to any parents, without specific, written permission of the student.

If a student is referred by the Dean of Students or Director of Residence Life through a judicial sanction or intervention for counseling services, the counselor will confirm only information deemed appropriate to the situation to satisfy the requirements of the sanction or intervention.  Students in these situations may be asked to sign a release for partial-shared further information as necessary.

If the Dean of Students or Director of Residence Life makes a mandatory referral for the wellness of the student or for assessment purposes to ensure the safety of the student and others, key information regarding attendance at sessions and progress may be shared between the University Health Services and the Dean of Students Office.

How Counselors Can Assist Students

Counselors assist students with personal concerns on a one-to-one basis, but also by working with small groups.

The following are some student concerns that counselors often address:

  • Study skills enhancement and time management
  • Strategies to overcome loneliness, depression, test anxiety
  • Campus life or roommate concerns
  • Coping with stress, relaxation techniques
  • Becoming more assertive
  • Sexual information or pregnancy concerns
  • Alcohol and drug abuse concerns
  • Decision making strategies
  • Coping with death or divorce

Other Referrals

Doctors or counselors may refer a student to the Firelands Counseling Center, located at 76 Ashwood Drive in Tiffin.  The Firelands phone number is (419) 448-9440.  A student may also be referred to a counselor or psychiatrist for more specialized concerns or medication concerns.

The Bottom Line:  We Care!

The bottom line – We here at Tiffin University care about our students’ wellness, and we will do everything in our power to assist in either helping directly, or making the correct referral.