Office of First-Year Advising
|Location:||Gillmor Student Center|
|Hours:||8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. weekdays or by appointment|
Mission Statement and Goals
The mission of the academic advising program at Tiffin University is to provide student-centered, developmental advising to prepare traditional college-age students and adult learners for successful careers and for productive and satisfying lives of excellence, leadership and service.
What Does First-Year Advising Look Like at TU?
Every first-year undergraduate student has an assigned First-Year Advisor (FYA) based on the student’s extracurricular association (athletics, arts, club sport, commuter, etc.) and serves as their main point of contact for all questions, concerns, and support programs. FYAs act as an advocate and mentor for each student by promoting student motivation and holistic campus engagement to help guide students toward graduation. All first-year students meet with their First-Year Advisor during their first year on campus to explore their short-term and long-term goals and develop an action plan to meet those goals. During an advising meeting, students will be matched with stupport services (tutoring, Peer Assisted Learning sessions, financial literacy workshops, career preparation coaching, etc.) needed to facilitate the attainment of their established educational and professional goals. FYAs also serve as a resource to upper-class students, providing pertinent information throughout the semester, including advising and registration dates and Faculty Advisor contact information.
First-Year Advisors can assist their advisees with the following:
- A main point of contact for every student to resolve questions and concerns
- Drop-in advising year round and appointments during advising weeks
- Planning to pursue academic and professional goals
- Assistance in developing a plan for graduation (4-year plan)
- Information about events and organizations on campus and in the community
- Change/add a major or minor
- Drop/add a class
- Assistance with online course registration
- Guidance with major and career exploration
- Communication about upcoming deadlines and important information