Office of Student Affairs
Welcome from the Dean of Students
Welcome to Tiffin University! My name is Jacob Simon and it is my privilege to serve as your Dean of Students. As you begin and continue your journey at Tiffin University, I want you to know that you belong at TU. Your success at Tiffin University is a joint commitment between you and TU. The division of student affairs has one focus, and that is you. We work hard to make sure that the spaces you live in, the activities you participate in,and the out of the classroom interactions you find yourself in are working toward your goals and aspirations.
Your time at TU is going to be challenging, but that challenge is what encourages the learning, grow and development that college affords. Along the way, you will have the support you need to push through that challenge and end up stronger on the other side. We truly work to connect knowledge to professional practice and the things you learn outside of the classroom, such as communication, conflict mediation, working with diverse others and time management all continue to be valuable to you after college.
The division of student affairs encompasses the offices of Residence Life, Housing Operations, Student Engagement, Student Conduct, Campus Safety and Security, Counseling and Wellness and the University Health Center. Each of these offices are dedicated to your success as a student.
Get to know the Dean of Students
Name: Jacob Simon
Current Roles: Dean of Students and Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Previous Roles: Associate Dean of Students, Director of Housing and Residence Life, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Assistant Area Coordinator
Started at TU: 2013
Degrees & Certificates: Bachelor of Criminal Justice from Tiffin University in Forensic Psychology, Master of Arts in College Student Personnel from Bowling Green State University.
The Mission of the Dean of Students
- Chief student advocate for the University, assisting them in successful transition to college life
- Promote the Guiding Principles for the student body to transform their lives
- Design and enhance student leadership opportunities in various modalities at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Collaborate and support the functions of academic and non-academic areas by bridging all departments
- Assess the educational and social experiences of students in order to improve institutional programs
- Provide and interpret information about students during the development and modification of institutional policies, services, and practices
- Effectively manage the human, technical and fiscal resources for which the office of Student Affairs is responsible
- Encourage development of friendships among students and a sense of community within the institution
- Help students appreciate the cultural uniqueness of all campus community members
- Encourage faculty-student interaction in programs and activities
- Support and advance institutional values by developing and enforcing behavioral standards for students
- Provide programs and services for students who want to improve their study skills