Bachelor of Business Administration
Invest in Your Future with a Real-World Finance Education.
An investment in knowledge is the most valuable asset of a student aspiring to a career in finance. Tiffin University’s BBA in Finance blends theory and application in a practical, comprehensive training, covering key areas of finance along with accounting, economics and management. You’ll acquire the knowledge and experience needed for a rewarding career in the fast-paced and exciting world of finance.
Tiffin University has been approved to participate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) Institute’s University Affiliation Program (UAP®). This approval means that TU finance students will now be able to apply for financial aid scholarships on behalf of the CFA®, and the University will have access to CFA®-sanctioned coursework and exams for teaching purposes.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) Institute, a global leader in the investment profession that aims to promote the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence, approved TU’s BBA in Finance to participate in its University Affiliation Program (UAP®). This affiliation means that TU’s curriculum is closely tied to the practice of investment management, and incorporates at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK). In other words, our curriculum provides students with resources to sit for the CFA exams. The affiliation also makes our Finance students eligible to receive a limited number of CFA student scholarships annually.
Finance is an integral part of decision making in every organization, from corporate enterprises to non-profit organizations to all levels of the public sector. Therefore, organizations throughout the world require people with specialized financial training who can make smart investment decisions and carefully weigh potential financial strategies by applying a thorough understanding of financial data and analysis.
TU’s finance curriculum, taught by faculty who bring years of financial industry experience, provides a professional finance education, striking a balance between theory and application. You’ll learn the principles of finance by doing finance, as you gain a firsthand, practical knowledge of the financial working world.
With a firm understanding of financial operations as well as financial markets, you’ll be well prepared for positions in industry, including manufacturing and retailing; in financial institutions such as banks, insurance companies, pension funds and investment firms; and in the field of financial planning.
Professional Finance Training
- Earn a finance-accounting double major degree without investing extra time or extra money.
- Gain real-world experience by managing a real-life investment portfolio.
- Earn industry certifications.
- Learn critical soft skills in addition to technical skills.
- Study in small class sizes with individualized attention.
- Participate in field trips to the Federal Reserve Banks and other financial institutions.
- Adopt a more global perspective through interaction with a diverse TU student population.
- The TU School of Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- On a national standardized test by Peregrine, in the area of Finance, Tiffin University School of Business students scored on average 12.53 percentage points higher as compared with students from ACBSP schools.
BBA to MBA Program
This accelerated pathway allows you to take classes that count as dual credit towards both your BBA and MBA degrees, giving you the ability to earn a bachelor’s and master’s in just five years, saving you both time and money. Learn about our MBA programs.
Preparing You for the Real World
In TU’s finance program, you’ll learn theory in the context of real-world application, as you study with faculty who bring vast financial experience to the classroom. You’ll gain your own experience in our Financial Lab, where you’ll compile and analyze financial data using the same industry tools as professional investors and financial advisors. You’ll develop expertise in making investment decisions by managing a real-life investment portfolio. This is a real-world, practical finance education that will prepare you in every way to be a well-informed and experienced financial professional.
A Practical, Professional Education
TU’s finance program will empower you both academically and professionally with an industry-informed, hands-on curriculum. As part of a practitioner-focused program, you will:
- Acquire current, relevant field knowledge in banking, fund management, financial analysis, and more
- Link theory to practice via real-world case studies
- Earn industry certifications – including IBM Skills Academy, Morningstar and SAS credentials – that are built into courses
- Work hands-on with best-practice financial industry software
- Acquire career-ready skills, including Quant trader skills, software training, research skills, analytical ability and valuable oral skills
- Hone your financial skills by participating in various financial and business competitions
Active, Experiential Learning in the Lab
As a finance major, your studies will extend beyond the textbook, as you take lessons from the classroom to the lab. Our advanced Finance Lab – with a full-sized stock ticker; two large flat panel TVs with scrolling financial data; and 30 computer terminals, each with Morningstar access – offers you hands-on learning and experience, using financial industry software and databases. A leading institutional data and research provider, Morningstar facilitates your immersive finance education by providing:
- Detailed information on mutual funds, equities, ETFs and hedge funds
- Historical data (monthly, quarterly and annual)
- Fund composition
- Portfolio screening
- Risk-adjusted star-ratings
- Investment style boxes
- Analyst reviews and commentaries
Morningstar also offers the ability to:
- Rank and compare funds
- Perform advanced analysis for research purposes
- Construct and analyze mutual fund portfolios
In addition, students will have the opportunity to take advantage of the Morningstar certification program.
Courses & Format
- ACC228 Managerial Accounting – 3 hours
- ACC301 Intermediate Accounting I – 3 hours
- LAW212 Business Law II – 3 hours
- ECO322 Intermediate Microeconomics – 3 hours
- ECO422 Managerial Economics – 3 hours
- FIN315 Financial Risk Management – 3 hours
- FIN420 Money and Banking – 3 hours
- FIN421 Investments – 3 hours
- FIN426 International Finance – 3 hours
- FIN461 Data Analytics in Finance – 3 hours
Total – 30 hours
Total BBA hours 121
This is a sample course sequence to illustrate course offerings for this major. Consult the official Academic Bulletin for detailed registration and advising information.
Risk Management and Insurance (FIN315) – One of the key questions that modern managers face is how to deal with the risks their company is exposed to. This course will help you understand how to value and employ derivatives as means of market risk management. We will also explore key concepts behind using insurance to treat other risks faced by an individual or firm.
Investments (FIN421) – This course is meant as a survey in the field of Investments. It focuses on the practical application of financial theory to the issues of investment management. Topics will include portfolio optimization and asset allocation, the theory of asset pricing models and their implications for investments as well as evaluating investment management performance.
International Finance (FIN426) – The study of the institutions, concepts, and instruments of international finance. Current and past international monetary systems shall be discussed. Special attention shall be directed to consideration of accounting, finance and taxation differences global companies (multinational companies – MNCs) experience in the domestic and foreign economies. Other topics shall include the determination of exchange rates and their macroeconomic linkages, the effect of exchange rates on current and capital account balances and the techniques global companies can engage in to hedge exchange rate risk.
Internship (FIN470) – Provides the student actual experience in applying the concepts, principles, and rules of finance in real-world circumstances. Hours and work assignments are arranged with the business or organizational sponsor on an individual basis.
On Campus – Offered in a 15-week semester format with start dates of January and August
The field of finance offers a wide range of challenging and rewarding careers – in a well-compensated field that continues to grow. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, various career options for Finance graduates will see a steady faster-than-average growth in employment over the next 10 years.
- Bookkeeping, Accounting and Auditing Clerk
- Budget Analyst
- Chief Financial Officer
- Claims Specialist
- Commercial Banker
- Commodities Representative
- Compliance Officer
- Cost Estimator
- Credit Specialist
- Financial Advisor
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Manager
- Financial Services Representative
- Loan Officer
- Management Analyst
- Mortgage Review Officer
- Personal Financial Advisor
- Sales Manager
- Securities Representative
WHERE TU GRADS HAVE WORKED
- Aaron’s Inc.
- Bank of America Corporation
- BMW Group
- Crawford Hoying, Ltd.
- Enterprise Holdings
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Kimball Midwest
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation
- Nationwide Insurance
- Old Fort Bank
- Western & Southern Life
Have a Question?
School of Business
- School Overview
- Undergraduate Programs
- Business Management
- Computer Science – Network & Systems Administration
- Computer Science – Software Development
- Computer Science – Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Computer Science – Video Game Design
- Computer Science – Web Design
- Healthcare Management
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
- Manufacturing Management
- Sports Management
- Sports Management – Athletic Administration
- Sports Management – Esports Management
- Sports Management – Sports Marketing
- Supply Chain Management
- Graduate Programs
- Doctorate Program
- Dual Enrollment Program
- Academic Calendar & Bulletin
- Undergraduate Minors
- Drone Academy
- Meet the Faculty
- Dragon Education Core
We’re here for you
155 Miami Street, Tiffin, OH 44883
At a Glance
- Faculty with extensive finance experience
- Blend of cutting-edge theory and hands-on practice
- Relevant field knowledge and career-ready skills
- Hands-on, advanced Finance Lab
“Tiffin University is best for students who want one on one time with their professors. The people here will give you all the tools to be successful. Bring the drive, and you will leave here with everything you need.”
Class of 2022
More About Our School
- Tiffin University’s Dr. Bonnie Tiell Gives National Convention Keynote Address in Puerto Rico
- Tiffin University Recognizes Faculty Excellence
- Tiffin University’s Drone Academy to Form Drone Racing Teams, One for Local Youth
- Real World-Ready – Brooklyn Kreilick’s Experience with the Tiffin Innovation Program and Beyond
- Tiffin University to Host Annual Summit to Success