Bachelor of Business Administration
A PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM ADDING UP TO A REWARDING CAREER
A career in accounting is about more than measuring business activities and reporting financial data. It’s making informed decisions to guide an organization by applying analytical reasoning, critical thought and problem solving. TU’s accounting program will provide you a solid understanding of accounting principles and techniques, as well as the key decision-making and problem-solving skills used in a challenging and fulfilling career as a professional accountant.
All organizations require accounting at some level. The size of the company will determine the complexity and needs within the accounting function, but this expertise is needed in every enterprise. Because of the need for accounting professionals, the need for new graduates remains a constant.
Tiffin University follows a fairly traditional accounting curriculum with several distinct advantages. Our accounting classes not only stress practical applications, but also include both tax research and problem solving. In addition, management courses are integrated into the curriculum during the entire four years, stressing real-world applications.
The BBA in Accounting provides a solid foundation for licensure. Students are encouraged to work toward becoming a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
Professional Accounting Training
- Accounting faculty bring nearly 55 years of combined industry experience, ranging from auditing and tax to corporate accounting and consulting. This allows a practical approach to all accounting courses.
- Students participate in professional internships with leading organizations such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, Marathon Oil, State of Ohio Auditor’s Office, various CPA firms and more.
- Our accounting program is kept current with the profession and has been revised to encompass the CPA Evolution, along with topics such as data analytics.
- Small classes allow for strong relationships with your fellow students and faculty.
- The TU School of Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- On a national standardized test by Peregrine, in the area of Accounting, Tiffin business students scored on average 7.52 percentage points higher as compared with students from other ACBSP schools.
BBA to MBA Program
This accelerated pathway allows you to take classes that count as dual credit towards both your BBA and MBA degrees, giving you the ability to earn a bachelor’s and master’s in just five years, saving you both time and money. Learn about our MBA programs.
Preparing You for the Real World
With years of accounting experience working in CPA firms and inside major corporations, TU faculty bring real-world situations to the classroom, helping you to understand how the information you’re learning is actually used in the profession. Career-ready skills are learned in the classroom, but they are applied during your required internship, as you immerse into the discipline of accounting and take on the challenges that face accounting professionals every day.
A Practical, Professional Education
- Our faculty’s extensive experience working in accounting provides authentic insights into the profession.
- Professors’ continued experience in the field enables them to keep up to date and bring changes and trends to the classroom.
- The small size of our university allows our program to update and adjust quickly when needed, such as data analytics.
- Guest speakers are used in courses to help students gain additional perspectives into the operations of businesses.
- Business-related clubs and organizations provide opportunities to learn, serve and connect with others in accounting, business and related fields.
Active, Experiential Learning
To be successful in accounting new professionals must have the ability to apply their knowledge into practice. It is through active engagement and the application of accounting that you’ll begin to gain the pivotal knowledge as a true practitioner.
The internship requirement plays a critical part in building this bridge to practice. You’ll work collaboratively with faculty and staff to be placed with a company in an accounting role. You’ll put your accounting knowledge from classes into practice in a real-world accounting environment. These opportunities often lead to permanent full-time employment.
Bringing Knowledge to Practice
- In group assignments in class, you’ll work through problems in simulated work scenarios.
- You’ll work with actual tax returns in the classroom, which allows you to experience real-life scenarios as a tax preparer while taking the tax class.
- Exposure to accounting software will provide the knowledge needed to navigate and learn various industry software as you begin your professional career.
- Accounting students have competed in global case studies, exposing them to current global events and requiring them to think critically on each topic.
- Students compete in the Peoples Bank case competition, focusing on issues facing the bank, such as new product offerings, hiring decisions, and other real business dilemmas. Based on their performance in the competition, multiple TU alumni have been hired by Peoples Bank.
- Students compete in the Intercollegiate Ethics Case Competition, held at Cleveland State University. You’ll gain hands-on experience using various accounting software and programs. The cases focus on different global accounting scandals.
- The IMA Case Study is a virtual case competition hosted by the Institute of Managerial Accountants, in which students produce a short video. The case focuses on managerial decision making.
Courses & Format
Accounting Major (3 hours per course, 30 hours total)
- ACC228 Managerial Accounting
- ACC 301 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACC302 Intermediate Accounting II
- ACC304 Federal Income Tax
- ACC313 Cost Accounting I
- ACC314 Cost Accounting II
- ACC385 Applied Analytics in Accounting
- ACC403 Accounting Information Systems
- ACC404 Auditing
- One of the following:
- ACC405 Fraud Examination Accounting
- ACC406 Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting
- ACC408 Oil & Gas Accounting
Total = 30 hours
Total BBA hours 121
This is a sample course sequence to illustrate course offerings for this major. Consult the official Academic Bulletin for detailed registration and advising information.
Survey of Accounting (ACC201) – An introduction to the fundamentals of accounting from the user’s perspective. The primary emphasis is the relationship between cash flow and accrual based income measurement. Includes financial reporting requirements and standards.
Managerial Accounting (ACC228) – This course is designed to provide information to the management student who will be charged with directing and controlling operations from within the organization. Emphasis is placed on corporation reports, statements, schedules and summaries prepared for the use of management.
Intermediate Accounting I (ACC301) – Intermediate Accounting is a study of financial accounting theory in relation to reporting practices. Emphasis is on generally accepted accounting principles as promulgated by official accounting boards (i.e. FASB). Intermediate Accounting I includes the role of accounting as an information system and economic resources.
Federal Income Tax (ACC304) – Determination of taxable and nontaxable income, deductions and tax liability for individuals and corporations. Includes background and objectives of the federal tax system.
Fraud Examination in Accounting (ACC405) – Covered in this course are the nature of fraud and general concepts about fraud detection and prevention. Investigative methods cover several elements of fraud: the theft act, the concealment of fraud and the conversion of assets taken. Various types of fraud studied include financial statement (management) fraud, fraud against the organization and consumer fraud.
On Campus – Offered in a 15-week semester format with start dates of January and August
Online – Offered in two terms per semester starting in January, March, May, July, August and October
You can join the ranks of TU graduates working at leading accounting firms and companies in Ohio, across the country and around the world.
- Accounting Assistant
- Bank President
- Bookkeeping, Accounting and Auditing Clerk
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Corporate Controller
- Cost Accountant
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Controller
- Financial Manager
- Financial Risk Specialist
- Financial Specialist
- Government Auditor
- Investment Analyst
- Junior Accountant
- Management Accountant
- Payroll Clerk
- Senior Accountant
- Staff Accountant
WHERE TU GRADS HAVE WORKED
- Auditor of State, Indiana
- Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Cooper Tire
- CPM Advisory Group
- Ernst & Young
- Internal Revenue Service
- Jackson Hewitt Tax Services
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- The Kroger Co.
- Marathon Oil
- Merrill Lynch
- Northwestern Mutual
- Quicken Loans
- State of Ohio
- The University of Toledo
- U.S. Federal Government
- U.S. Treasury
- Whirlpool Corporation
Have a Question?
School of Business
- School Overview
- Undergraduate Programs
- Business Management
- Computer Science – Network & Systems Administration
- Computer Science – Software Development
- Computer Science – Video Game Design
- Computer Science – Web Design
- Healthcare Management
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
- Manufacturing Management
- Sports Management
- Sports Management – Athletic Administration￼
- Sports Management – Esports Management
- Sports Management – Sports Marketing
- Supply Chain Management
- Graduate Programs
- Doctorate Program
- Dual Enrollment Program
- Academic Calendar & Bulletin
- Undergraduate Minors
- Drone Academy
- Meet the Faculty
- Dragon Education Core
We’re Here for You!
155 Miami St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
At a Glance
- Faculty with extensive accounting experience
- Blend of cutting-edge theory and hands-on practice
- Program kept up to date with latest in profession
“The accounting professors at Tiffin University provide expertise in all facets and use their experiences in many industries to drive their class lectures. Professor Marben has been instrumental in my success in the classroom and in starting my career. Professor Marben is responsible for my connection to my current employer and is an excellent help in all internship needs. Overall, the TU accounting team is undeniably great.”
Class of 2022